Tuesday, November 3, 2009

New Music Tuesdays: Wait.Think.Fast.

As I write this, my good friends in Wait.Think.Fast. are in the lovely desert city of Tuscon, Arizona recording a full length record.  I did an interview with songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Matthew Beighley that I'll post later this week or next.  But for now let's enjoy this video they recorded for their new song "Trouble."




Dan and I spend much of last night holed up alone in our rehearsal space.  With Heather under the weather and Todd back east, Dan and I took the time to discuss album and song titles and work out an arrangement for one of my personal favorite tracks on the new record called "At The Edge of the Earth."  While we did shoot some footage of us performing this song, ultimately nothing we shot turned out all that well so we'll revisit it at a later date.  

What we did accomplish was naming a few of the songs.  Usually Summer Darling songs will have numerous names through out their life span.  Their first name often refers to a prominent word in a song--"Blazing Fire" is always referred to by the band as "Cheated"--or an action--"The Reminder," a song on the new record, is referred to as "Tabletop" because of the motion Dan made with his guitar in order to originally be able to play the part.  Final track names typically get added once the song is done, recorded, and ready to be shipped out to the masses.  It was great to be able to bounce ideas for song names back and forth with Dan and we came up with a couple of winners.  

The album title remains an illusive specter existing in the nether-regions of someone's unconscious waiting to be summoned.  We've gone through roughly three titles that we all agreed would be the one, but sooner or later I get bored or unsatisfied with them.  Dan helped me at least come to the conclusion that I'm trying too hard to think of a grandiose title.  His point, which was well taken, was that the songs themselves already demand to be taken seriously and an overwrought title would actually detract from their impact.  So the search continues, but I got a couple of ideas that I can't wait to get sick of. . .

1 comment: