Thursday, November 12, 2009

One quick correction before we begin today. In the post about Laura Ann's benefit show I erroneous attributed the drumset signed by Jimmy Chamberlain as having belonged to and having been donated by Billy Corgan. The set was in fact Laura Ann's, but it was used on the Gish sessions, and it may have belonged to JC at one point in time. I will contact Laura and figure out the specifics. My thanks to the reader who pointed this out to me.

Today's post will run next week as I have just learned that a member of my extended family passed away in a car accident this morning. His name is Richard and he is married to Beth, my wife's cousin. I have happy memories of Richard sitting around Heather's Grandmother's table playing Rook. He and I beat the pants off of his wife, Beth, and Heather's uncle, Reggie. While it may have been just another game to the three of them, that day held a very special significance for me. Winning that game was fun, but the interaction I shared with Heather's family members that day symbolized my acceptance into their clan. Ever since that moment I know I am accepted, loved and respected as family and there is nothing greater than that.

In a world where I often forget that relationships are the most valuable and important thing in our lives, Richard, Beth, Uncle Reggie and Heather's whole family are a beautiful example of well placed priorities. I am deeply grieved at the loss of Richard and I am saddened to the point of speechlessness when I think of Beth and their two children, Seth and Brianna. Please keep these people in your thoughts and prayers and try to connect with someone today you may have lost touch with in observance of this terrible tragedy.

3 comments:

  1. Ben, you should have followed the link http://themachinesomehow.blogspot.com/2009/10/buy-jimmy-chamberlins-drum-kit.html ! :) It was definitely owned by JC who gave it to Laura: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_W5VwBw8RqIo/St9OJoNl1dI/AAAAAAAAAGw/vDMSJ1qK7is/s1600-h/JC+Drum+Kit7.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification! For whatever reason I couldn't access the first link, but the new one you sent me works fine! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of your family's loss. You are in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete