Thursday, October 29, 2009

The New Record One Year Recording Anniversary

In the last week October of 2008, we began recording what we thought would be our final EP in the series of 3 that we planned to release that year. However, in my mind there was a song that I wasn't too happy with on our previous EP Good Feeling, and wanted to redo it. Unbeknownst to me, both Todd and Dan felt the same way about a couple of other tracks. When we went into emitter studios to record drums that day we all expressed our desire that if we had the time, maybe we could lay down the drums for this song all quick like, and then maybe this song, and of course let's not forget that song.

What ended up transpiring that fall afternoon, a mere 5 days before Todd would move to Portland, making this a one shot affair-whatever-doesn't-get-done-doesn't-make -the-record sort of recording day, was pure magic. Todd banged out all six new tracks as well as the three tracks we were re-imagining in less than eight hours (the tenth song on the new album does not have drums). It was inspiring to watch and as we close out the mixes for this still untitled record, I find it encouraging to remember where these recordings started and how excited I am to be near completion of the record we've been trying to make for the last 12 months.

Sobriety Journal Entry 1: Romanticizing your ex-lover

This is day four of my month long trek into the barren wilderness that is sobriety. I was talking shop with my buddy who's been sober the last fifteen years about the bazaar alcohol fantasies I've been having and I thought I'd share the one recurring fantasy he suffers from only because I was impressed by its specificity. He fantasizes about reaching into a tall cupboard and removing a heavy rocks glass. The glass has a weighted bottom that is square in dimension, but whose mouth and tumbler are round. He then cracks ice from the ice tray that he has made by freezing Smart Water (the electrolites are cleansing, man) and puts two Smart Water cubes in the glass. He completes this ritual by adding two fingers of a certain brown American liquor. Damn, I kidded him, you need to get to a meeting because your fantasy kicks my fantasy's ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment