Thursday, February 18, 2010

Money Money Money Mah-nee!

We played a game last night at Gingergrass where we listed off some songs we never wanted to hear again for the rest of our life. One of the ones we thought of was this money song, but we couldn't think of who it was by. No, not Pink Floyd, that song kicks ass. Was it ABBA?? Who knows. Anyway, it got me thinking about money and the value of it and the value of things that can't be weighed out monetarily.

For example, according to my business taxes, my bands spent 11,000$ in 2009. We made just under 5,500$. That would seem like a business in need of a new model. However, how do I appraise the dozens of shows we got to play up and down the west coast? How much is the feeling of holding a 180 gram vinyl of your band in your hand for the first time worth? How about drinking beers in a hotel room after a successful show? The memories created by that god awful drive between Palm Springs and Phoenix? The countless hours spent recording and rehearsing at our studio? My point is that my experiences in 2009 were way more valuable than my taxes say they were. Sure, I'd love for the money part to match up, too. But until then, I'm excited to lose my shirt again in 2010 for the sake of rock and roll!

I apologize in advance to Nick, my accountant.

No comments:

Post a Comment