Monday, February 8, 2010

Sunday Bloody Sunday: Surfers and Footballers


Yes, I watched the Super Bowl this year for the first time in recent memory. It was quite fun actually. I was at a party where no one knew a damn thing about football; everyone was just enjoying the company and then occasionally, when the crowd would start cheering really loud, we'd all quiet down, rewind the Tivo a few seconds and catch what happened. I spend half time with my friend Matt setting up this American P Bass that we're using in the Past Haunts and Summer Darling so I missed most of the Who's underwhelming performance.

I suppose my only what-the-fuck? moment came today when I logged on to Myspace and there was this add saying, "Don't be out of the loop. You can watch all of the Super Bowl Commercials right here on Myspace." Are you kidding me? Is that what people are truly interested in, the fucking commercials? Thursday I got coffee at this local coffee shop and they had a sign right above the cash register that had an American Flag on it and big patriotic looking letters underneath that read "United We Spend." It made me laugh, but now I feel a little sick because as nuvo-marxist kitchy as that sign is, it's also true. If the best thing about a sporting event in which the heavily favored team loses to the underdog of all underdogs, whose win symbolizes the rebirth and resurgence of a city decimated by nature and forgotten by the rest of it's country, is the commercials, then we live in a land of fucked priorities. Shame on us.

I know the above paragraph slightly romanticizes both sides of the issue, so to help you have a good week, why don't you listen to this jam I've been enjoying lately. It's called "Swim" by a band called Surfer Blood. Trust me, you'll feel better. You may even want to go out a buy something...

No comments:

Post a Comment