Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Chain Letter Author's Jams We Enjoyed In 2009

I've compiled some jams that at one time or another Heather and I were really into this year. Ultimately they are all from albums where I only choose to listen to this particular song and maybe a couple of others. The albums aren't bad, per se, but they didn't make the year end best of list I'll be posting tomorrow. I've chosen to omit songs that are from my favorite albums of the year to inspire a bit more variety on each list.


"Out On A Limb" -- Faunts from the album Feel. Love. Thinking. Of. This is a song that I wish I wrote, that I could write. The interlocking guitar interplay combined with the forward momentum of the rhythm section (even though I'm pretty sure it's a drum machine) make this song sound as if it is always rolling over on itself. The title track to this record is also insanely catchy.



"Spaceships" -- Tweak Bird from Reservations. I had a hot minute with this band and this is the song I still return to. A slow, dirge-y 6/8 time signature filled with monster riffs and mouse vocals.



"Future Primative" -- Papercuts from You Can Have What You Want. This song is all about the opening muted bass line and the musical chorus hook that stays in my head for weeks at a time.



"Blood Bank" -- Bon Iver from the Blood Bank EP. Bon Iver followed up my favorite album of 2008 with this single. It embodies everything I love about this band. Simple, haunting and beautifully melancholy.



"Die Slow" -- Health from Get Color. It was difficult for me to put this song on today's list because the album is one of my favorite albums of 2009. But this song was the reason I love the record. I am addicted to this jam. It's probably my favorite song of the year.





"Rolling Sea" -- Vetiver from Tight Knit. I bought this record on the strength of it's opening song. A gorgeous melody played on acoustic guitar with lyrics that make me instantly nostalgic for a past I never had.




"God Damn Best" -- French Miami S/T. Wow. We played with this band once this year and they absolutely burnt the place down. Ultimately this album tends to be a bit monochromatic, but this bombastic tune is unstoppable.





"Fathom" -- Russian Circles from Geneva. Good god did this song inspire some instrumental post rock! From the opening sounds of a demon orchestra tuning up to the punishing melody hook that continues to return before breaking apart into a number of fascinating tangents, this song has it all for the Explosions/Mogwai/Jesu fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment