Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ghosts of Christmas Past


Last night at the Origami release party for the Lilofee 7" I ran into an old acquaintance named Ronnie. Ronnie and I go way back; we worked together at a coffee shop in Orange County nine years ago. At the time he was in a band called The Pressure. I had another friend that worked at the coffee shop that I knew from playing in bands. His name was Allen. He was in a local band called Mayday when I was in a band called Remember August. We played a few shows together and always got along swimmingly. After Ronnie's and Allen's bands broke up they started a band called Your Enemies Friends. Your Enemies Friends went on to release a couple records and tour the world while the bands I was in at the time slowly dissolved. For years I desperately wanted to be the drummer for that band because I thought that was going to be my only shot at playing in a real band.

It was interesting running into Ronnie on the streets of Echo Park. It's not the first time I've seen him since our coffee shop days, but enough time has passed to be able to accurately reflect on old times, which we did briefly. He's in a new band called Seaspin and Allen is in a band with his old bandmates from Mayday, but Ronnie couldn't remember what they were called. I'm not exactly sure how it makes me feel to know what kind of concentric circles this band life makes, though I'm pretty sure that if I end up where I started after some kind of wild ride with this life, I'll be grateful and think it was all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. YEF was and is one of my favorite local bands. They are such nice people, who were very sincere about making great music. You can hear some of their influence on a Terrapin song like “It All Goes Away” and they were also one of the reasons we wanted to work with Alex Newport. I saw them in total like 20 something times back in the day, even driving out to San Diego to catch them every now and again. It was interesting seeing them shift from an OC band to an LA band while the music changed shape during that process. I hope the stuff they were demo’ing for a second full length makes it to the light of day eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alan, did you ever get the chance to hear the Wiretap EP?

    ReplyDelete