Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Time to be Inspired: Happy Hollows + Twilight Sleep @ Spaceland

The Happy Hollows are everywhere I look these days. From a residency at Spaceland to countless blog Best of 09 lists to a very positive Pitchfork review, this Los Angeles 3 piece seems poised to break through. I remember talking with my friend Brian a couple of years ago about this band and he seemed sure then that they were the real deal. I went to Spaceland on Monday night to check them out. I had seen them play a year and a half ago at Summer Camp but have no real memory of it (thanks Colt 45). Furthermore Heather had downloaded their record from eMusic recently but I can admit to only a cursory listen.

The show the Happy Hollows put on Monday night was jubilant, joyful, hyper active and loud as hell. Their sincerity and energy was down right infectous and I left feeling very inspired and in a weird, can't-explain-it sort of way, proud of them. Like they were my kids and I had just witnessed them winning a battle of the bands. I know, sounds bazar. When I started thinking about it today, though, it made perfect sense. The Happy Hollows are a band that lets people in; they're not so much performing for the audience as they are interacting with them. At that is their appeal. I've seen one show and I believe they can conquer the world. There's a lesson in that for me and the bands I play in to be more, what's the word, TRIUMPHANT! on stage. And good lord, these kids took it all in stride. Having just killed it, they responded with grace and humility. Real cool.

I was pleased to be able to witness Twilight Sleep's first show with their new line-up. It had all the classic first show jitter-ness, nervous lovers making out for the first time, moments of confidence colliding with seconds of awkwardness. But the minute they started the first jam, I thought to myself, wow they sound better in this minute than they've ever sounded before. I have great expectations for them and am excited to see them develop into a affecting live act.

Here's the song "Faces" from the Happy Hollows new record, Spells. The Happy Hollows are playing a couple of shows in January and if you haven't already, I recommend you check them out.

1 comment:

  1. hey i took that picture monti@indierockreviews.com

    ReplyDelete